Greyhound Growl

Marching into the school year

Steven Zanowic, Andrew Sifrit, Emily Shilson and Mikayla Tate

Tess Carroll

Tess Carroll

Tess, co-editor

Tess Carroll
Female color guard getting ready for drill competition.                                                                (Left) Mikayla Tate, Angelica Sharkey, Emily Shilson and Alexiss Ward

Tess Carroll
Drill team practicing what they know with a knock out drill. Which is where when you mess up you are out! Commanding the knock out drill is Andrew Sifrit.
(Left) Gabriel Rodriguez, Alexiss Ward, Fred Armiger, Mikayla Tate and Angelica Sharkey

Tess Carroll
Alpha Team participating in the first football game of the the year.                                                 (Left) Fred Arminger, Noah Belcher, Jacob Varga and Gabriel Rodriguez

The Junior Reserve Officers Training Corps (JROTC) teaches citizenship, leadership, respect, and personal courage. Lieutenant Colonel Dan Clark and First Sergeant Nadene Turner teach leadership skills and Army values in the program and all throughout the campus. Cadets participate in many activities during and after school which include competitions, community service, service learning projects, and summer camps. Competitions include Drill, JLAB, Cyber-Patriot, and physical training. Cadets compete locally, regionally, statewide, and nationally.  Just last year they sent 19 cadets to a local Drill competition in the area and 17 to the State Drill meet. This year we won overall champion in the Seminole County JROTC Fitness Challenge hosted by Winter Springs.  Of seven events, Lyman won 1st place in four, 2nd place in two, and 3rd place in one.

“After falling short for the past six years, we were well prepared and determined to win it all this year.” said junior Noah Belcher.

Lyman’s JROTC was inspected last year and scored 98.5% – among the highest in Florida.

Junior Fred Arminger said “Without a high standard, you will never get a high score nor will you get what you truly want.”

Cadets participate in many community service projects throughout the school such as Lyman beautification, parking details, or simply helping move boxes for teachers and staff.

“I participate in blood drives and parking details. I believe it is useful because it helps with colleges.” stated sophomore Anya Seely.

In the past four years, our JROTC program has contributed more than 11,267 hours of service to our school and local communities.

Lyman also has a mentor program at Milwee and South Seminole Middle School for younger cadets. Mentoring these younger cadets JROTC students are teaching them how to approach high school and get them ready to take the next big step in their lives. JROTC is all about learning how to succeed – what right looks and feels like – and then teaching it to younger peers.

”Milwee service learning projects are a great opportunity for students who feel very confident in their education and in the course to reach out to younger students, and educate them to prepare them for not only ROTC or their academic career, but in their future as young adults.” said Angelica Sharkey, senior.

JROTC is an amazing program to learn leadership skills and how to plan for the future. You are under no obligation to join the military after taking JROTC. If you want to be a leader, know how to plan for your future, and have a great time while doing so, then come check out the JROTC room 03-028 it might just be the course for you!

Tess Carroll 
PT Team at competition                                       (Back Left)Noah Belcher, Thomas Arminger, Leo Escobar, Fred Armiger, Andrew Sifrit, Alexiss Ward, Jane Vance, Jacob Varga, Alexander Vaughn, Gabriel Rodriguez
(Frount Left) 1st Sergeant Nadene Turner, Falyn Pates, Emily Shilson, Danilo Rodriguez, Alondra Oquendo, Maaya Gonzales, Lucas Kreidler, LTC Dan Clark

Tess Carroll
Maaya Gonzales participating in cadet challenge trying to reach her percentile for her age group.

About the Photographer
Tess Carroll, co-editor

My name is Tess Carroll! I enjoy taking pictures, exploring new things, and spending time with friends and family. At Lyman, I participate in the engineering program and I am currently taking aerospace. Also, I do JROTC and am involved in student government for the class of 2021.

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Marching into the school year”

1. lenny on September 24th, 2018 1:06 pm

Good job tess

2. Tess on September 24th, 2018 2:06 pm

Thank you!

3. Jordan G Hickman on October 22nd, 2018 7:18 pm

I love your article and how informative it is!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Marching into the school year

Academics

Don’t be Scared of the Miter Saw

• Marching into the school year

Look at Lyman

Lyman Gains

• Marching into the school year

Academics

Students Take Paws for a New Period

• Marching into the school year

Front Page

The Greatest Show Has Come to an End

• Marching into the school year

Front Page

The Unlikely Bromance of Trump & Kanye

• Marching into the school year

Entertainment

Venom movie review

• Marching into the school year

Poll Display

What is your Favorite Thanksgiving Food?

• Marching into the school year

Local

What’s Coming Up This Month?-November

• Marching into the school year

Look at Lyman

Moving Beyond the Middle

• Marching into the school year

Academics

Don’t be Scared of the Miter Saw

The Student News Site of Lyman High School
Marching into the school year