The Longwood Fences

These fences were made by the well known artist, Jeff Sonsken. They were placed in front of the Sanford-Orlando Kennel Club to convince people to vote No on the 13th Amendment.

Riley O'Connell, Staff Writer

Driving, biking, and running through the city of Longwood it is hard to miss the fence portraits filled with tributes to actors, musicians, politicians, icons and even greyhounds.  The man responsible for these pieces of artwork is Jeff Sonksen, a former carpenter turned street artist. Currently, there is half a mile of fence paintings in Longwood, but his goal is to reach 5 miles, which would create a record for the longest mural. Sonksen’s original reason for constructing these pieces was out of boredom, but he’s grateful he’s been able to get the community involved in his “Paint the Trail” project.

“Frustrated and needing something to do, I started making panels out of fence pickets and then painting them with pop culture icons. I would install them on the fence at my parents house that faces a bicycle trail. I would hang them as the sun was going down trying not to be caught. I must have hung 20 paintings before I needed to make room for more.”

In addition to the portraits, Sonksen’s artwork often includes text to make you laugh or make you think. The details encourage residents to interact with his work as they walk through the great outdoors. As Sonksen continues to strive to reach his five mile goal, residents of the Longwood community continue to be surprised and delighted with each new pop creation added to the fence line.

“I think that it is a great way to draw attention to issues in the society, and also explain how to improve them. ” Says sophomore Georgia Walton.