Greyhound Growl

Part of the Crew

Back to Article
Back to Article

Part of the Crew

Boys and girls crew prepare for the upcoming season by practicing rowing in their lightweight boats called shells. Each boat is steered by a coxswain (pronounced cox'n) who coordinates the  rhythm of the rowers.

Boys and girls crew prepare for the upcoming season by practicing rowing in their lightweight boats called shells. Each boat is steered by a coxswain (pronounced cox'n) who coordinates the rhythm of the rowers.

Dana Lugo

Dana Lugo

Dana Lugo

Riley O'Connell, Staff Writer

Crew is a full year club sport where boys and girls use speed, strength, balance, and agility to row in races. Crew practice is a strenuous full body workout producing strong, athletic students. Led by head Coach Vanegas students train by rowing in Lake Jesup after school. In addition to the hours in the water, Crew practice includes weights, wall sits, push ups, sit ups, and running. The effort is large and so is the commitment, which means that the crew team has after school practices and races on the weekends. Not only does it take a lot of muscle to row the boats, but also a lot of teamwork. After spending hours on a boat together, the relationships develops from teammates to friends who enjoy their time together.

“I enjoy the bonding between all my teammates on the boat.” said sophomore Kellen Miller.

The biggest reason that the Crew team has so much fun is because they are all great friends due to a shared commitment and love for their sport.

“Crew is like my family. We all row as one boat. Crew is one of the most competitive sports and in races you can see that. Me and my girls like a little competition to see how far we can push ourselves.” shares sophomore Isabel Simanton.

Any academically and physically eligible students can join Crew, and beginners are encouraged to work with coaches and seasoned athletes and come learn the fundamentals. Interested students may find that Crew mixes athleticism with the beauty of the water in a perfect lifelong sport.

About the Writer
Riley O'Connell, Staff Writer

Hey! My name is Riley O'Connell. I am a sophomore here at Lyman High School. I play on the greyhound baseball team and am part of the drum line. I have...

4 Comments

4 Responses to “Part of the Crew”

1. Tamiyah on October 23rd, 2018 7:48 am

This is a very motivating article because it shows the true bond that sports teams have.

2. Lucas Waligura on October 23rd, 2018 8:16 am

I really enjoyed the article. Really captures what crew is like in a short summary! Some thing I would maybe do and I’m not saying it’s not good but maybe put different grade levels for the interviews.

3. Annalee Swagerman on October 23rd, 2018 1:26 pm

I loved how you included the pronunciation of coxswain.

4. LD on January 9th, 2019 8:35 am

wow! crew team seems so interesting. going to look into it

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Part of the Crew

Athletics

Patriots Dominate Super Bowl LIII

• Part of the Crew

Athletics

Not so Sweet Victory

• Part of the Crew

Athletics

Bad Call?

• Part of the Crew

Athletics

New Season, New Goals

• Part of the Crew

Athletics

The Race for the NHL Playoffs

• Part of the Crew

Athletics

The dominance of UCF Football

• Part of the Crew

Athletics

Pressing Higher

• Part of the Crew

Athletics

Boston Strong

• Part of the Crew

Athletics

Goodbye Track!

• Part of the Crew

Athletics

Sidelined from Sports Injuries

The Student News Site of Lyman High School
Part of the Crew