Part of the Crew

Dana Lugo

Boys and girls crew prepare for the upcoming season by practicing rowing in their lightweight boats called shells. Each boat is steered by a coxswain (pronounced cox’n) who coordinates the rhythm of the rowers.

Riley O'Connell, Staff Writer

Crew is a full year club sport where boys and girls use speed, strength, balance, and agility to row in races. Crew practice is a strenuous full body workout producing strong, athletic students. Led by head Coach Vanegas students train by rowing in Lake Jesup after school. In addition to the hours in the water, Crew practice includes weights, wall sits, push ups, sit ups, and running. The effort is large and so is the commitment, which means that the crew team has after school practices and races on the weekends. Not only does it take a lot of muscle to row the boats, but also a lot of teamwork. After spending hours on a boat together, the relationships develops from teammates to friends who enjoy their time together.

“I enjoy the bonding between all my teammates on the boat.” said sophomore Kellen Miller.

The biggest reason that the Crew team has so much fun is because they are all great friends due to a shared commitment and love for their sport.

“Crew is like my family. We all row as one boat. Crew is one of the most competitive sports and in races you can see that. Me and my girls like a little competition to see how far we can push ourselves.” shares sophomore Isabel Simanton.

Any academically and physically eligible students can join Crew, and beginners are encouraged to work with coaches and seasoned athletes and come learn the fundamentals. Interested students may find that Crew mixes athleticism with the beauty of the water in a perfect lifelong sport.