Greyhound Growl

Don’t be Scared of the Miter Saw

Students make the cut in the Building Trades and Construction Program

(Left to right) Sophomores Jose Herrera , Antonio Rodriguez  and Ulric Skinner listens to Mr. Adams for instructions.

(Left to right) Sophomores Jose Herrera , Antonio Rodriguez and Ulric Skinner listens to Mr. Adams for instructions.

Chris Hagin, staff writer

Junior Cavin Fisher measures out pieces for a mouse trap launcher.

With an introduction class and three honors level classes, all full year classes, a student in Lyman High School can easily have all four of their years in the “Building Trades and Construction” program; if they signed up since their freshman year. For those who are truly interested in the program after taking the prerequisite class, the 3 honors levels of carpentry can be selected as an elective of their choice.

Teaching for four years at Lyman after the previous teacher left that year’s first semester; Mr. Harvey Adams has taught a variety of students with different personalities and interests.

Senior Matthew Schlueter works on measurements for a wall.

For those who are truly interested in the program after taking the prerequisite class, the 3 honors levels of carpentry can be selected as an elective of their choice.

“My carpentry experience has been great; Mr. Adams is a really good teacher. He teaches you a lot of life lessons,” said senior Marc Watson.

Throughout the year, class topics can shift to introduce other trades such as plumbing or electrical work. Typically, the class starts off slow for the first weeks for preparation or refreshers for students for safety knowledge in the workplace before entering the shop area to use the tools and work on projects. Projects may range from personal trinkets or crafts for other classes or around the school. An example of the many projects students worked on in previous years are the wooden benches around the courtyard, or were around the courtyard; made by teams within the carpentry program’s classes.

“Don’t be scared of the miter saw,” said senior Nathanael Flores jokingly.

Senior students interested in a trade job, but not sure what they’d like to go into may have permission for a field trip to the jobs fair around the end of the year. For those do who know what they are interested in can also take the opportunity for an onsite trade apprenticeship, which pays for its education and you money as it’s a real job. Both opportunities are only allowed by Mr. Adams to students who he trusts and believes to be committed workers.

“Your own experience is your best teacher,” said Mr. Adams.

About the Contributors
Chris Hagin, staff writer

I’m Chris Hagin and I help with graphics and some oddball jobs for the newspaper. I also make crazy Photoshop “edits” of the staff. In my spare time, I play video games or play with my cats, watch YouTube videos or movies and shows.

Tess Carroll, co-editor

My name is Tess Carroll! I enjoy taking pictures, exploring new things, and spending time with friends and family. At Lyman, I participate in the engineering program and I am currently taking aerospace. Also, I do JROTC and am involved in student government for the class of 2021.

1 Comment

One Response to “Don’t be Scared of the Miter Saw”

1. Naral Chalermchaikosol on October 23rd, 2018 1:56 pm

This article gives a really interesting and informative course overview. I love it!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Don’t be Scared of the Miter Saw

Look at Lyman

Lyman Gains

• Don’t be Scared of the Miter Saw

Look at Lyman

Marching into the school year

• Don’t be Scared of the Miter Saw

Academics

Students Take Paws for a New Period

• Don’t be Scared of the Miter Saw

Front Page

The Greatest Show Has Come to an End

• Don’t be Scared of the Miter Saw

Front Page

The Unlikely Bromance of Trump & Kanye

• Don’t be Scared of the Miter Saw

Entertainment

Venom movie review

• Don’t be Scared of the Miter Saw

Poll Display

What is your Favorite Thanksgiving Food?

• Don’t be Scared of the Miter Saw

Local

What’s Coming Up This Month?-November

• Don’t be Scared of the Miter Saw

Look at Lyman

Moving Beyond the Middle

• Don’t be Scared of the Miter Saw

Local

The Longwood Fences

The Student News Site of Lyman High School
Don’t be Scared of the Miter Saw