Don’t be Scared of the Miter Saw

Students make the cut in the Building Trades and Construction Program

(Left to right) Sophomores Jose Herrera , Antonio Rodriguez and Ulric Skinner listens to Mr. Adams for instructions.

Chris Hagin, staff writer

Junior Cavin Fisher measures out pieces for a mouse trap launcher.

With an introduction class and three honors level classes, all full year classes, a student in Lyman High School can easily have all four of their years in the “Building Trades and Construction” program; if they signed up since their freshman year. For those who are truly interested in the program after taking the prerequisite class, the 3 honors levels of carpentry can be selected as an elective of their choice.

Teaching for four years at Lyman after the previous teacher left that year’s first semester; Mr. Harvey Adams has taught a variety of students with different personalities and interests.

Senior Matthew Schlueter works on measurements for a wall.

For those who are truly interested in the program after taking the prerequisite class, the 3 honors levels of carpentry can be selected as an elective of their choice.

“My carpentry experience has been great; Mr. Adams is a really good teacher. He teaches you a lot of life lessons,” said senior Marc Watson.

Throughout the year, class topics can shift to introduce other trades such as plumbing or electrical work. Typically, the class starts off slow for the first weeks for preparation or refreshers for students for safety knowledge in the workplace before entering the shop area to use the tools and work on projects. Projects may range from personal trinkets or crafts for other classes or around the school. An example of the many projects students worked on in previous years are the wooden benches around the courtyard, or were around the courtyard; made by teams within the carpentry program’s classes.

“Don’t be scared of the miter saw,” said senior Nathanael Flores jokingly.

Senior students interested in a trade job, but not sure what they’d like to go into may have permission for a field trip to the jobs fair around the end of the year. For those do who know what they are interested in can also take the opportunity for an onsite trade apprenticeship, which pays for its education and you money as it’s a real job. Both opportunities are only allowed by Mr. Adams to students who he trusts and believes to be committed workers.

“Your own experience is your best teacher,” said Mr. Adams.