Volleyball…Dig It!

Volleyball...Dig+It%21

Kat Negron, staff writer

The Varsity Girls Volleyball team started their season out strong and are looking to improve their (19-7) record from last year. With new and returning talent the Lady Greyhounds are very capable of improving last year’s record. This season the Greyhounds squad is stacked with leadership and veteran experience that includes a total of three very talented seniors.

The Greyhounds offense is led by sophomore Alanys Viera who is extremely talented and the only college commit on the squad. Viera is headed to the University of  Miami in the fall of 2021.

“I am extremely excited for the near future and my time at Miami but right now it’s time to focus on school ball because I think we have a great shot at going far this season.” remarked Viera.

The Greyhound’s main goal this season is to make it out of district playoffs, which has never been done before in Greyhound girls’ volleyball history.

“It’s a really exciting feeling to know that we have a great chance at a playoff spot this year if we work are absolute hardest all season” said sophomore Sky Raphael.

The Greyhounds are considered a playoff contending team because going into the season there were set rules on how the season was going to go. The team is led by head coach Robert Drake who also runs the volleyball program.

“I wouldn’t really say I changed much going into the season but when you want to be the team that everyone wants to beat then how discipline you are will always allow you to be the better team. If I had to say I changed one thing it would be the discipline the girls have.” said head coach Robert Drake.

On the chase for a playoff run or even a state victory there may be rough patches along the way, but the team is more than ready to face obstacles head first with  positive attitude. The Greyhounds have one of the most difficult schedules this season. As they will play a good amount of high quality teams including five teams who made playoff pushes last season.

“I believe one of the most difficult parts of the season for the team is going to be picking up our attitudes when we’re not doing well.” said sophomore Lily Fanok “We have an extremely tough schedule this year and if we don’t give our hundred and ten percent effort when playing it will be harder to comeback in tough matches.”

This year all students have the opportunity to get into home games for a dollar by wearing their “We are Lyman” shirts and witness the Varsity volleyball team pursue a historic season.