Is This the Finish Line for Greyhound Racing?

The Sanford Kennel Club has been home to greyhound racing for over 75 years. It’s future remains precarious if Florida’s Amendment 13 passes this November 6.

Riley O'Connell, Staff Writer

This November an amendment on the ballot that hits close to home is Florida Amendment 13. A “YES” vote is a vote to prohibit wagering on live dog races, including greyhound races by 2020.

The results of this vote will have a direct impact on The Orlando Kennel Club across from Lyman High School that has been in operation since 1935. Lyman’s beloved school mascot, is named for the sleek greyhound dog that can reach speeds of up to 45 mph. But should these dogs continue to race for sport?

Currently, there are only six states remaining where dog tracks still exist and racing them is still legal. 4o states have laws prohibiting this type of racing. Advocates for the amendment strongly believe greyhound racing is inhumane.

“Florida tracks are not required to report greyhound injuries to the public, but we know that as many as 8,000 dogs are confined for 20-23 hours per day in cages too small for the dogs to even stand normally. Injuries, death and abuses are all too common.” states the humane society.

Students proudly displaying their greyhound gear also have expressed deep concern for the animals health and safety and worry if this practice is in the dogs best interest.

“It is an unfair way to use a dog’s energy, especially since it is just for our enjoyment.” believes sophomore Jade Joerger.

Not everyone agrees with amendment 13 and many argue that greyhounds are bred for an active, racing lifestyle and they are happy racing. In addition, some leading opposition to amendment 13 is due to economical reasons. If the amendment passes Florida could potentially lose $1 million a year in taxes and fees and put the 3,000 Floridians who work at the state’s track out of work.

Others who oppose the amendment worry it’s a “trojan horse” hiding a real purpose to open the door for animal rights organizations to have a constitutional standard to oppose any activities they find objectionable in the future.

Even with these arguments, Amendment 13 seems to be gaining new support every day from people on both sides of the political spectrum. In an an article published in the Tampa Bay Times, republicans Lara Trump and Pam Bondi said treating our greyhounds with mercy transcends political party divisions. They believe “it’s up to voters to unshackle and uncage the dogs.