Greyhound Growl

Is This the Finish Line for Greyhound Racing?

The Sanford Kennel Club has been home to greyhound racing for over 75 years. It’s future remains precarious if Florida’s Amendment 13 passes this November 6.

Riley O'Connell, staff writer

This November an amendment on the ballot that hits close to home is Florida Amendment 13. A “YES” vote is a vote to prohibit wagering on live dog races, including greyhound races by 2020.

The results of this vote will have a direct impact on The Orlando Kennel Club across from Lyman High School that has been in operation since 1935. Lyman’s beloved school mascot, is named for the sleek greyhound dog that can reach speeds of up to 45 mph. But should these dogs continue to race for sport?

Currently, there are only six states remaining where dog tracks still exist and racing them is still legal. 4o states have laws prohibiting this type of racing. Advocates for the amendment strongly believe greyhound racing is inhumane.

“Florida tracks are not required to report greyhound injuries to the public, but we know that as many as 8,000 dogs are confined for 20-23 hours per day in cages too small for the dogs to even stand normally. Injuries, death and abuses are all too common.” states the humane society.

Students proudly displaying their greyhound gear also have expressed deep concern for the animals health and safety and worry if this practice is in the dogs best interest.

“It is an unfair way to use a dog’s energy, especially since it is just for our enjoyment.” believes sophomore Jade Joerger.

Not everyone agrees with amendment 13 and many argue that greyhounds are bred for an active, racing lifestyle and they are happy racing. In addition, some leading opposition to amendment 13 is due to economical reasons. If the amendment passes Florida could potentially lose $1 million a year in taxes and fees and put the 3,000 Floridians who work at the state’s track out of work.

Others who oppose the amendment worry it’s a “trojan horse” hiding a real purpose to open the door for animal rights organizations to have a constitutional standard to oppose any activities they find objectionable in the future.

Even with these arguments, Amendment 13 seems to be gaining new support every day from people on both sides of the political spectrum. In an an article published in the Tampa Bay Times, republicans Lara Trump and Pam Bondi said treating our greyhounds with mercy transcends political party divisions. They believe “it’s up to voters to unshackle and uncage the dogs.

About the Writer
Riley O'Connell, staff writer

Hey! My name is Riley O’Connell. I am a sophomore here at Lyman High School. I play on the greyhound baseball team and am part of the drum line. I have also taken part in the performing arts  in the past at my elementary school and for one year in high school. I am new to the newspaper staff, but have been a contributor since the end of last year. I am looking forward to being a part of the newspaper staff this year.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Is This the Finish Line for Greyhound Racing?”

1. Molly Herman on October 23rd, 2018 1:19 pm

I honestly did not have a clue that greyhound racing was even a thing but now I know its a threat.

2. Kevin on October 23rd, 2018 1:33 pm

Greyhounds should still race, it is what they do. Honestly if cages and other potential things that may hurt greyhounds, could have a restriction. A good idea to solve the cage problem could be if lets say 100 greyhounds are in a race, a certain amount of them must be the size cage for the particular greyhound.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Is This the Finish Line for Greyhound Racing?

Local

What’s Coming Up This Month?-November

Local

The Longwood Fences

Local

Longwood’s National Night Out

Local

What’s Coming Up This Month?-October

Front Page

The Greatest Show Has Come to an End

Front Page

The Unlikely Bromance of Trump & Kanye

Entertainment

Venom movie review

Poll Display

What is your Favorite Thanksgiving Food?

Local

What’s Coming Up This Month?-November

Look at Lyman

Moving Beyond the Middle

The Student News Site of Lyman High School