Greyhound Growl

Moving Beyond the Middle

Many freshmen signed up for clubs and got involved during PAWS period at the yearly club preview.

Madison Koesler

Madison Koesler

Madison Koesler, Co-Editor

New Greyhounds, Riley Aagaard and Myles Green, beginning to start the chase at baseball practice.

Freshman year is a strange and slightly frightening time for most students, but what about Lyman’s freshmen. How are they adjusting to this big new world?

The majority of freshmen actually seem to be adjusting quite well. Many are getting involved, making friends, and are having an excellent time so far.

“It’s pretty good. I just feel accepted here and it’s bigger and nicer than middle school. I joined the thespian society too because like it’s just everybody’s really sweet and they’re all accepting,” freshman Myah Cartagena stated.

One very important reason the freshman are adjusting so well is that they are getting involved. Many students are taking a leap out of their comfort zone to try new clubs, sports, and activities this year, and it appears to be working out well.

“It’s been [a] phenomenal [year so far]; all the people have really high school spirit. Everyone is very open so I’ve been joining a lot of clubs and sports that have helped me make friendships,” freshman Zoe Oberschlake remarked.

Even though the freshmen are adapting well, not everything is perfect. Freshmen still tackle many challenges on a day-to-day basis.

“The hardest thing about being a freshman is the pressure. There is a lot of pressure put on us by all the other grades. We are also beginning a new chapter of our life and it’s hard to get used to,” freshman Enok Arocho commented.

“I would say the hardest thing about being a freshman is getting used to all the responsibilities,” Estrella Vasquez added.

To assist these freshmen with the stress and responsibilities of high school, the teachers take a step up to make these issues easier to overcome. Especially with the new PAWS period in place, freshmen have resources that greatly assist in the high school transition.

“I believe that our teachers are so invested in helping the freshmen and I think that they have a large impact on the transition because they create a foundation to help get students started in life,” stated assistant principal Ms. Skipper.

About the Contributors
Madison Koesler, co-editor

Hello! My name is Madison Koesler. This is my first year on the newspaper staff and currently I am one of the Co-Editors for the paper. In my free time, I run for the XC & track teams here at Lyman. In addition, I enjoy volunteering at the library and watching Netflix when I have the opportunity.

Riley O'Connell, staff writer

Hey! My name is Riley O’Connell. I am a sophomore here at Lyman High School. I play on the greyhound baseball team and am part of the drum line. I have also taken part in the performing arts  in the past at my elementary school and for one year in high school. I am new to the newspaper staff, but have been a contributor since the end of last year. I am looking forward to being a part of the newspaper staff this year.

4 Comments

4 Responses to “Moving Beyond the Middle”

1. Bethany Hodges on October 22nd, 2018 1:36 pm

I really enjoyed this article because it was very informative on how the freshman feel about entering a new environment.

2. Abe on October 22nd, 2018 1:51 pm

This article was very well-written and informative in showing how freshmen feel transitioning from middle to high school.

3. George Santos on October 23rd, 2018 7:49 am

The article was formatted pretty well, good visualizations and quotes emphasize the meaning of the article, which was evident in here.

4. Alexis Nicole on October 23rd, 2018 1:34 pm

Moving Beyond The Middle was a very informative article about being a freshman and enjoying being a part of the “Start The Chase” at Lyman High School. The article also gives information on how Freshman are adapting to the environment, and learning the new PAWS period. I really enjoyed how the article gives so much information, and facts about the change.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Moving Beyond the Middle

Front Page

The Greatest Show Has Come to an End

• Moving Beyond the Middle

Look at Lyman

Lyman Gains

• Moving Beyond the Middle

Look at Lyman

Here Comes Homecoming!

• Moving Beyond the Middle

Look at Lyman

Tunes in the Stands

• Moving Beyond the Middle

Look at Lyman

Marching into the school year

• Moving Beyond the Middle

Athletics

Hard Work, Winning, and Fried Chicken

• Moving Beyond the Middle

Front Page

The Greatest Show Has Come to an End

• Moving Beyond the Middle

Front Page

The Unlikely Bromance of Trump & Kanye

• Moving Beyond the Middle

Entertainment

Venom movie review

• Moving Beyond the Middle

Poll Display

What is your Favorite Thanksgiving Food?

The Student News Site of Lyman High School
Moving Beyond the Middle