Greyhound Growl

Venom movie review

Embrace Your Inner Anti-Hero

Luiza Diaz, staff writer

Investigative Journalist Eddie Brock (Tom Hardy) attempts a comeback following a scandal trying to take down Carlton Drake (Riz Ahmed), the notorious and brilliant founder of the Life Foundation. While investigating one of Drake’s experiments, Eddie’s body merges with the alien Venom (Dee Bradley Baker) becoming his host — leaving him with superhuman strength and power. Soon, he must rely on his newfound powers to protect the world from a shadowy organization looking for a symbiote of their own. Twisted, dark and fueled by rage, Venom tries to control the new and dangerous abilities that Eddie finds so intoxicating.

If you read the comics you would have realized how most of the film accurately represented its characters and the story line. Most of you remember Venom’s appearance in Spider-Man 3 directed by  Sam Raimi also (which was a great movie in my opinion) but he wasn’t portrayed as a hero in that one. In this film, Venom will definitely not be hated. There is also a good amount of comedy and horror present in the film although primarily this is an action movie with a science fiction setting. The playful banter between Eddie Brock and Venom created a genuine connection of friendship as well as adding humor to the film.

Venom is the electrifying action movie you need to see in theaters. There are a lot of white knuckle action scenes enhanced further by a solid CGI work. An exhilarating vehicular chase sequence had me excited to the core and so did all the other action sequences. Tom Hardy’s performance is impressive. His interactions with Venom are heart winning.  Venom definitely reminded me of the dark atmosphere built by Sam Raimi in his Spider-Man movies, that’s another reason why I wanted to watch it. It’s a highly entertaining action entertainer which needs to be seen and enjoyed as a whole. Since this is an origin story, don’t expect it to be overstuffed. This film hints at many other possibilities for a sequel but towards the end there are two credit scenes one of which if you’ve read the comics or seen the older films then you’ll definitely be in for a surprise.

The Greyhound Growl gives Venom 4 out of 4 paws

About the Writer
Luiza Diaz, staff writer

Hi! My name is Luiza Diaz and I am a senior here at Lyman. This is my first year working on the newspaper staff. I am a member of the swimming, lacrosse, and dance team. In my free time, I like to discover new music, play video-games, mess around with my pets, play around with makeup, and hangout with friends. I’m very childish most of the time, but I  make every situation positive. I’m either outgoing, loud, or quiet. There is no in between. I plan to make my last year at Lyman the best and hope to make lots of new memories and friends.

1 Comment

One Response to “Venom movie review”

1. Justin Ryan Worden on November 6th, 2018 7:14 pm

When reading this article, I believed the author used a lot of adjectives and truly believes Venom was a good movie, which I can’t say isn’t true. With all the detail and description, even though I already watched the movie, I really could imagine the scene the author describes.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Venom movie review

Entertainment

2018-2019 Horoscopes

• Venom movie review

Entertainment

Hell Fest movie review

• Venom movie review

Entertainment

What’s Hot In Today’s Music

• Venom movie review

Entertainment

A Simple Favor movie review

• Venom movie review

Entertainment

Marvel’s Spider-Man for the PS4: A grand web-swinging time?

• Venom movie review

Entertainment

Destiny 2: Forsaken Game Review

• Venom movie review

Front Page

The Greatest Show Has Come to an End

• Venom movie review

Front Page

The Unlikely Bromance of Trump & Kanye

• Venom movie review

Poll Display

What is your Favorite Thanksgiving Food?

• Venom movie review

Local

What’s Coming Up This Month?-November

The Student News Site of Lyman High School
Venom movie review