Greyhound Growl

Venom movie review

Embrace Your Inner Anti-Hero

Luiza Diaz, staff writer

Investigative Journalist Eddie Brock (Tom Hardy) attempts a comeback following a scandal trying to take down Carlton Drake (Riz Ahmed), the notorious and brilliant founder of the Life Foundation. While investigating one of Drake’s experiments, Eddie’s body merges with the alien Venom becoming his host — leaving him with superhuman strength and power. Soon, he must rely on his newfound powers to protect the world from a shadowy organization looking for a symbiote of their own. Twisted, dark and fueled by rage, Venom tries to control the new and dangerous abilities that Eddie finds so intoxicating.

If you read the comics you would have realized how most of the film accurately represented its characters and the story line. Most of you remember Venom’s appearance in Spider-Man 3 directed by  Sam Raimi also (which was a great movie in my opinion) but he wasn’t portrayed as a hero in that one. In this film, Venom will definitely not be hated. There is also a good amount of comedy and horror present in the film although primarily this is an action movie with a science fiction setting. The playful banter between Eddie Brock and Venom created a genuine connection of friendship as well as adding humor to the film.

Venom is the electrifying action movie you need to see in theaters. There are a lot of white knuckle action scenes enhanced further by a solid CGI work. An exhilarating vehicular chase sequence had me excited to the core and so did all the other action sequences. Tom Hardy’s performance is impressive. His interactions with Venom are heart winning.  Venom definitely reminded me of the dark atmosphere built by Sam Raimi in his Spider-Man movies, that’s another reason why I wanted to watch it. It’s a highly entertaining action entertainer which needs to be seen and enjoyed as a whole. Since this is an origin story, don’t expect it to be overstuffed. This film hints at many other possibilities for a sequel but towards the end there are two credit scenes one of which if you’ve read the comics or seen the older films then you’ll definitely be in for a surprise.

The Greyhound Growl gives Venom 4 out of 4 paws

About the Writer
Luiza Diaz, Staff Writer

Hi! My name is Luiza Diaz and I am a senior here at Lyman. This is my first year working on the newspaper staff. I am a member of the swimming, lacrosse,...

10 Comments

10 Responses to “Venom movie review”

1. Justin Ryan Worden on November 6th, 2018 7:14 pm

When reading this article, I believed the author used a lot of adjectives and truly believes Venom was a good movie, which I can’t say isn’t true. With all the detail and description, even though I already watched the movie, I really could imagine the scene the author describes.

2. Anjel Ruiz-searles on January 9th, 2019 8:21 am

when reading this story i believe the author really liked the movie based on the words they used to describe it

3. Erika Frutchey on January 9th, 2019 11:48 am

I have been wanting to see this movie and after reading this i believe the author truly liked this movie and i now want to watch it even more. I love seeing a positive review of it. The author really captured my attention and made the movie seem definitely worth my time.

4. Ava Carter on January 9th, 2019 12:07 pm

This movie was so funny and great. It is described very well in this article!

5. Bethany Hodges on January 9th, 2019 12:07 pm

This review was excellent, and I agree with this review 100%. I loved this movie and I would definitely watch this movie again.

6. Neysa Roberts on January 9th, 2019 12:13 pm

I havent seen it yet but from the reviews and article it seems pretty good .

7. Jessica Sterling on January 9th, 2019 12:49 pm

This movie was so amazing! It captured who Venom really is. The writer of this review described this movie amazingly.

8. Xander Averion on January 9th, 2019 12:54 pm

Nice review, states out some good points!

9. Yamiley on January 9th, 2019 1:07 pm

I have watched this movie and this review is kinda accurate to what i though about the movie but great details describing the story line.

10. Victor Solis on March 1st, 2019 7:37 am

I feel that venom wasn’t this good of a movie. Sure it had some good moments and all but I feel the full potential of the movie was held back due to the rating. It’s a PG-13+ movie. I feel that if it was rated R it would have more of the visual power needed to fuel the movie and it’s hype.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Venom movie review

Entertainment

Beats to Add to your Summer Playlist

• Venom movie review

Entertainment

Summer Screenings

• Venom movie review

Entertainment

The Apex of Battle Royals?

• Venom movie review

Entertainment

Gates to Astroworld Locked

• Venom movie review

Entertainment

Diverse and Inclusive New Emojis!

• Venom movie review

Entertainment

Behind The Curtains

• Venom movie review

Entertainment

Thank u Next Grammys

• Venom movie review

Athletics

Not so Sweet Victory

• Venom movie review

Entertainment

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Review

• Venom movie review

Entertainment

Aquaman movie review

The Student News Site of Lyman High School
Venom movie review