Greyhound Growl

Filed under Athletics

Pressing Higher

Back to Article
Back to Article

Pressing Higher

Coach O, one of the girls' weightlifting coaches, smiles excitedly as Bailey Hudson beats her own personal record!

Madison Koesler

Madison Koesler

Madison Koesler

Girls weightlifting might be a smaller sport, but it is definitely one of the strongest and most challenging. With a team consisting of only 13 girls that compete in two events each, the clean & jerk and the bench press, the girls have to work very hard to keep up with other schools that have teams over triple their size. While this team may be very small compared to other schools, these girls still manage to do a lot with a little.

Elizabeth Cutlip, Bailey Hudson, and Adele Palmer have been doing especially exceptional this season. These girls have been able to maintain or improve on their bench press and the clean and jerk scores in almost every match throughout the season so far. [As of 11-28-18]

These girls aren’t the only ones on the team pushing themselves. After school 3-4 days a week the whole team meets in the weight room to practice and prepare for their upcoming competitions. To prepare they do everything from dead lifts to wall sits while having to pass each other 18- 20 pound medicine balls without falling!

“I feel that as individuals we’re all gaining everyday and getting better. Many of us have a good shot at making it to regionals or even states,” sophomore Ava Ager said.

Madison Koesler
Kali Waugh has successfully completed her clean and jerk, an event that is very challenging for many girls.

About the Contributors
Cameron Brooks, Staff Writer

My name is Cameron Brooks and I am a sophomore here at Lyman. This is my second year in journalism but my first year on the newspaper staff. I play football,...

Madison Koesler, co-editor

Hello! My name is Madison Koesler. This is my first year on the newspaper staff and currently I am one of the Co-Editors for the paper. In my free time,...