Greyhound Growl

Filed under Entertainment

Aquaman movie review

A Son of The Land and A King of The Seas

Back to Article
Back to Article

Aquaman movie review

Arthur Curry (Jason Momoa) is a half-human and half Atlantean who goes on a journey with the fierce warrior Mera (Amber Heard) to save Atlantis from his malicious half-brother King Orm (Patrick Wilson) who plans to take control over the seven kingdoms and cause a war between the land and the sea. In this journey, Arthur and Mera receive information from the King’s adviser, Vulko (William Dafoe), who has a secret agenda to help them find the lost trident of Atlantis and become the rightful king of the seven seas.

The visual effects were a treat for the eye, mesmerizing and charismatic. I could notice and appreciate the efforts taken in animating the Atlanteans, making them float, swim as if they were fish and not humans to make it all feel realistic. From the mosaic underwater architectures, the finely detailed character costumes, the enchanting visuals, to captivating and horrifying monsters and unforgettable, marvelous action sequences, it is quite ironic that in this film about an underwater kingdom the actors weren’t even in the water, unless they were in land bubbles or they just came out of the ocean. The actors were hosed down for the land scenes and in the underwater scenes they had to wear a quite uncomfortable rig and harness to replicate underwater movement. For the many underwater scenes, wire work was done with a blue screen behind them and CGI was later added to make it look like they were in water, had floating hair, and their clothes moved to look like they were in Atlantis.

Aquaman is tenacious, invigorating, and a must see film for not only all DC fans but for anyone looking for a good movie on the weekend. This is the type of movie to watch in IMAX 3D on the biggest screen possible and feel the immersive experience of an underwater adventure. In the end it will be worth it. I personally loved this film!

The greyhound growl gives Aquaman 4 out of 4 paws.

About the Writer
Luiza Diaz, Staff Writer

Hi! My name is Luiza Diaz and I am a senior here at Lyman. This is my first year working on the newspaper staff. I am a member of the swimming, lacrosse,...

1 Comment

One Response to “Aquaman movie review”

1. Joshua Worden on February 28th, 2019 1:34 pm

I haven’t yet watched this film but this review makes me want to more so than before, I know from past movies that D.C tends to release good movies that is if your into superheroes.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Aquaman movie review

Entertainment

The Apex of Battle Royals?

• Aquaman movie review

Entertainment

Gates to Astroworld Locked

• Aquaman movie review

Entertainment

Diverse and Inclusive New Emojis!

• Aquaman movie review

Entertainment

Behind The Curtains

• Aquaman movie review

Entertainment

Thank u Next Grammys

• Aquaman movie review

Athletics

Not so Sweet Victory

• Aquaman movie review

Entertainment

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Review

• Aquaman movie review

Entertainment

Trapped in the Bird Box

• Aquaman movie review

Entertainment

Video Games for the Holidays

• Aquaman movie review

Entertainment

The Grinch movie review

The Student News Site of Lyman High School
Aquaman movie review