Greyhound Growl

Filed under Athletics, National, News

Bad Call?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Bad Call?

Jan 20, 2019; New Orleans, LA, USA; Los Angeles Rams defensive back Nickell Robey-Coleman (23) breaks up a pass intended or New Orleans Saints wide receiver Tommylee Lewis (11) during the fourth quarter of the NFC Championship game at Mercedes-Benz Superdome. Mandatory Credit: Chuck Cook-USA TODAY Sports

Chuck Cook-USA TODAY Sports

Chuck Cook-USA TODAY Sports

Chuck Cook-USA TODAY Sports

On the 20th the Rams played against the Saints in a very long, but grueling game for both teams. It was a close game until the end, but there was one drive the Saints had that could have resulted in a touchdown and an invitation to the Superbowl.

The game was tied 20-20 with under two minutes to go. Rams defensive back, Nickell Robey-Coleman, was on the Saints wide receiver, Tommylee Lewis. The ball was snapped! Drew Brees throws the ball to Lewis and Robey-Coleman, not turning to look at the ball. SMACK!  He runs right into the Saints wide receiver.

Most people believe that was a passing interference on Nickell Robey-Coleman and possibly could have been called targeting as well (because of the helmet to helmet contact). To many people’s disbelief, the referee didn’t throw these flags.

This was infuriating for Saints fans because these flags would have resulted in the Saints having better field position. With a better position comes a higher chance to score a touchdown. If they had gotten a touchdown with their defense holding the Rams offence to a field goal, the Saints most likely would have won that game.

The Saints had to settle for a field goal, which they made. The Rams then tied the game with another field goal. This caused the two teams to go into overtime, and the Rams ended up winning the game.

This bad call from the referees robbed the New Orleans Saints at their shot at the Superbowl and their chance to change its outcome which has become football history.

About the Writer
Cameron Brooks, Staff Writer

My name is Cameron Brooks and I am a sophomore here at Lyman. This is my second year in journalism but my first year on the newspaper staff. I play football,...

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Bad Call?”

1. Grace Allen on February 28th, 2019 1:25 pm

I completely agree with your view on this, in my opinion, awful call. The refs should have called it immediately and it should have been the Saints in the Super Bowl.

2. jacob fairbanks on February 28th, 2019 1:27 pm

I like how this article was organized and the responses the people said to when they were ask about the questioning call.

3. clayton on March 1st, 2019 8:52 am

Well organized and well written

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Bad Call?

Athletics

Patriots Dominate Super Bowl LIII

• Bad Call?

Athletics

Not so Sweet Victory

• Bad Call?

Athletics

New Season, New Goals

• Bad Call?

Athletics

The Race for the NHL Playoffs

• Bad Call?

Athletics

The dominance of UCF Football

• Bad Call?

Athletics

Pressing Higher

• Bad Call?

Athletics

Boston Strong

• Bad Call?

Athletics

Goodbye Track!

• Bad Call?

Athletics

Sidelined from Sports Injuries

• Bad Call?

Athletics

About time for some Magic

The Student News Site of Lyman High School
Bad Call?