Greyhound Growl

Filed under National, News

Jussie Smollett: From Victim to Suspect

Back to Article
Back to Article

Jussie Smollett: From Victim to Suspect

Actor Jussie Smollett claimed that he was attacked by two men at 2 A.M on the 29th of January in Chicago. He stated that the attackers screamed racist and homophobic remarks at him, covered him in an unknown substance, and then tied a rope around his neck.

Recently the police discovered that Smollett had actually paid two brothers to help stage this attack. The police were able to come to this conclusion because once they discovered the attack was not recorded on surveillance cameras they became suspicious, and they investigated further. In the investigation, they questioned the two men that were accused of attacking Smollett who then to admitted that Smollett paid them to stage the event. Then, a tape from the day before the alleged attack was discovered from a nearby store of the two men buying masks, bleach, and ropes.

Some people are now speculating that Smollett faked the attack with the goal of getting more attention, fame, and money. Not long after the police announced that Smollett of criminal investigation, a felony disorderly conduct was charged against Jussie Smollett for filing this false report.

For the last five years, Jussie Smollett had continuously played the character “Jamal” on the show Empire. Although Smollett keeps claiming to his cast mates and the show that he is innocent,  the producers of Empire announced that Smollett’s character will have to be taken out of the last two episodes of this season. Many also think that it is likely that Jussie will never appear on the show again.

Smollett plans to go back to court on March 14th to plead his case. If after the court case he is convicted of the charge, he could have to pay substantial fines, spend up to three years in prison, and will cause his career to be ruined.

Update March 27th:

A couple weeks after Jussie Smollett was accused of 16 felony counts for filing a false police report, the state’s attorney’s office decided to drop all of the charges made against him. It is unknown exactly why this was decided, and the police superintendent and the mayor of Chicago still strongly believe that he is guilty of a false claim and that it was the wrong decision to drop the charges. “He used the laws of the hate crime association that all of us through the years have put on the books to stand up to be the values that embody what we believe in,” mayor of Chicago Rahm Emanuel said. “This is a whitewash of justice. A grand jury could not have been clearer.” After everything, Smollett still says that he has been truthful throughout this whole incident and that he would never do anything like what he was accused of. Unless more evidence is found to prove Smollett guilty, he will no longer have to face consequences for filing a false claim. 

About the Writer
Ella Snyder, staff writer

Hi, my name is Ella Snyder and I am a freshman here at Lyman and this is my first time on newspaper staff. Outside of school, I practice gymnastics, I...

14 Comments

14 Responses to “Jussie Smollett: From Victim to Suspect”

1. amya vega on February 28th, 2019 1:21 pm

I liked this story it had good facts and I learned all the drama I needed.

2. zeny on February 28th, 2019 1:22 pm

This is so disappointing.

3. Daniela on February 28th, 2019 1:40 pm

Well written.

4. Cecil on February 28th, 2019 1:41 pm

Extremely disappointing. It is distasteful to PAY someone to yell racist and homophobic slurs at you when others face that on a daily basis.

5. Christine Bui on March 1st, 2019 7:39 am

I honestly did not know anything about this case before reading this article; however, knowing that he supposedly paid people to do this in order to gain fame and attention is saddening and many people who like him may change their views on him. He paid people to yell racist and homophobic remarks at him and in reality, people face that on a daily basis and in a way, he takes it as a chance for fame. Also, I heard that Empire is a popular show, therefore, I am sure he gets enough fame and money.

6. jalene vasquez on March 1st, 2019 8:41 am

I feel like we’re only getting part of the story with this case. There must be something behind the scenes that we’re not being included in on or some small detail not being released to the public, otherwise this is one of the worst publicity stunts to have ever occurred.

7. clayton on March 1st, 2019 8:50 am

Well written and good facts!

8. Annalee on March 1st, 2019 12:50 pm

The article was very well written and was also straight to the point.

9. Yamiley on March 1st, 2019 12:52 pm

This story is very well written i learned alot about this issue and i am happy i read it

10. Damien Johnson on March 1st, 2019 12:54 pm

it is a shame that he had staged this for publicity

11. Kevin Santos on March 1st, 2019 12:56 pm

While I have never faced racism or homophobia personally, I just feel so disappointed and angry at Smollett for his actions, causing a major issue for many in the USA into him doing the move, and just having the idea of doing this is horrible before it was acted out and would utterly screw his career for life.

12. Jessica Sterling on March 1st, 2019 12:58 pm

This is a very well written article. Though it is disappointing to pay someone to yell homophobic and racist slurs, it’s kind of funny that he needs to go back to court on Pi Day to plead his case.

13. grace kluegel on March 1st, 2019 12:59 pm

I like this article a lot. I think it tells you everything you need to know about the topic and it is very intruiging. It is also written well.

14. Joseph on March 1st, 2019 12:59 pm

I think he did it for the clout but now he has to pay for it.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Jussie Smollett: From Victim to Suspect

National

Can He Be Taken Down?

National

College Admissions Scandel

National

Black-Face: “The Racial Agenda”

• National

Animals to the Rescue!

Athletics

Patriots Dominate Super Bowl LIII

National

The ONE Reason Math Comes in Handy After School

Athletics

Not so Sweet Victory

Athletics

Bad Call?

National

Far out! New Planet VG18, or “Farout” Discovered

Athletics

Boston Strong

The Student News Site of Lyman High School
Jussie Smollett: From Victim to Suspect