Greyhound Growl

Filed under Entertainment

The Apex of Battle Royals?

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Apex of Battle Royals?

Passing Fortnite since its release on February 4, 2019, Apex Legends has gained an enormous amount of popularity in the gaming community. Considering that the game is free and in the popular battle royal style, some believe that Apex is becoming the new Fortnite. At the moment, gamers around the world are debating on whether or not Apex is superior to Fortnite.

First some background on Apex, this game is set in the Titanfall universe. Strangely to many players, it does not include any titans and the only correlation that has been made between these games so far was in Titanfall 2, when the main villain, Blisk, throws Pilot Cooper a card that says “APEX.” However, guns in Apex Legends are very familiar to the ones from Titanfall 2, and they do look and feel almost identical. While this is a fresh perspective on the Titanfall universe, it is a shame for Titanfall 2 players to hear nothing of BT or Pilot Cooper. This is because Apex is full of a new set of characters unfamiliar to Titanfall players: Wraith, Mirage, Lifeline, Pathfinder, Bloodhound, Bangalore, Gibraltar, and Caustic.

The game play has the classic first person shooter aspect of Overwatch, the general formula of a battle royal game, and the added bonus of being free to play. Many players coming from Fortnite consider the game a breathe of fresh air because it doesn’t require the player to grind countless challenges that can take away from the game play.

Apex and Fortnite are similar, seeing that they are both battle royal, but very different in game play,” freshman Rees Campanale said. “I was first a little confused by Apex when I first played it, but after a few matches, I had a blast.”

Also unlike Fortnite, Apex team composition is at max three players and is different in mechanics and characters. While Fortnite has characters, such as Raven and Skull trooper, the only thing that differentiates them from normal characters is their attire. In Apex, the characters not only look distinctly different, but they have their own abilities that can be used in battle.

“I like the game a lot more than Fortnite because I feel like it is was faster pace due to the map being so small,” sophomore Brantley Hanks commented. “I also enjoy the fact that there’s only three people per squad, which makes it easy to squad wipe.”

Due to the game’s exceptional reviews, rising popularity, and no cost, the Greyhound Growl rates Apex Legends 4 out of 4 PAWS.

About the Writers
Riley O'Connell, Staff Writer

Hey! My name is Riley O'Connell. I am a sophomore here at Lyman High School. I play on the greyhound baseball team and am part of the drum line. I have...

Chris Hagin, Staff Writer

I'm Chris Hagin and I help with graphics and some oddball jobs for the newspaper. I also make crazy Photoshop "edits" of the staff. In my spare time, I...