Night Under the Northern Lights

The Senior 2021 Gala

For seniors, prom is traditionally one of the biggest events of the school year. Grad Bash, all of the senior skip days and breakfasts were nothing compared to their last dance at the end of the year. Unfortunately for the class of 2021, Lyman had to put a halt to most of these activities, including the prom, due to the still ongoing pandemic.

In order to make up for all the cancellations, leadership worked to host a “senior gala” in more of a dinner style, rather than a dance. While it wasn’t as grand as a ballroom-sized prom, the gala gave seniors the chance for their final send-off.

The event was laid out consisting of four massive tents with tables and chairs underneath where the students could enjoy socializing and eating. Seniors were able to choose their table and friends they sat with. After grabbing walking down the red carpet entrance, students received a meal ticket they could use to redeem their choice of dinner. Students could choose from Ruben Place Asia or Rubio’s Baja Grill. While not the fanciest dining experience, the food received praise from many students that attended.

“The dinner was filling and one of the best parts of the night,” Sai Castillo said.

After everyone finished eating, it was time to find out who would win the title of 2021’s gala king and queen. Mr. Rice called up all of the contestants and began to announce the winners.

After escalating their anticipation, Mr. Rice revealed to the seniors that Michael Bernheim and Kate Walsh won the title of king and queen. As the ecstatic couple heard the news, they were crowned in front of their applauding classmates.

At the end of the night, all of the seniors came together and sang the alma mater for one last time. Arm and arm, the seniors begin to realize that their time at Lyman was coming to an end and that society was getting ready to greet them.

While the future is uncertain, it is guaranteed that after a trying and difficult year, the 2021 Lyman greyhounds will find a way to leave their mark on the world.

“The Gala was an amazing night to end out my senior year with all my friends who I’ll graduate with in a few weeks,” Adam Collester said.