GREYHOUND UPDATES
The Student News Site of Lyman High School

Greyhound Growl

Greyhound Growl

Greyhound Growl

Where Are the Seniors?

Start of the 2024 begins with a winter pep rally.

On Friday, those who went to the pep rally witnessed twists on the traditional games of previous pep rallies.

In previous pep rallies, there were games such as tug-of-war, the three-legged race, and leapfrog. This time, there was a real-life version of the Hungry Hungry Hippos tabletop game. “We’ve done many pep rallies before and we’re trying out new games to see what fits and what doesn’t,” Student Government Association member Alexi Castro (11) said.

Five teachers were pitted against five students for who could score five points first throwing from the two-pointer line. Basketball Coach Wes Below was one of the participants in the competition.

“I worked relentlessly for four days to perfect my shooting form. A lot of blood, sweat, and tears went into it. The other teachers definitely did not…especially Ms. [Kelly] Talopau,” Below joked. “I missed two of my six shots and if I had made them, we would’ve won. It keeps me up at night knowing that I lost to a group of students. I am training relentlessly for the next year to make sure it never happens again.”

With the focus more on teachers, many students found themselves glued to what was happening on the gym floor. “I thought it was funny seeing the teachers play the games,” John Carmona (11) said. “It’s not the type of thing you would generally see one of your teachers doing on a normal day.”

In planning this event, SGA knew that students would want to see their most notable teachers compete against their fellow students. “If your favorite teacher gets a basket, you’re happy. And if a teacher you don’t like that much shoots an airball, you’re happy.” Castro said.

Another surprise was the junior class winning the spirit bone. With the senior section deserted and half full, the spirit bone was between the sophomore and junior class. 

“This pep rally seemed to have a lot more student participation in the games compared to the other ones that I’ve seen…I was very surprised to see that we won the spirit bone because usually the seniors are favored to win every time,” Carmona said. “I guess we won because we had more people cheering than the seniors did.”

To show their spirit, everyone was asked to wear outfits and clothing to match certain genres based on their class, with the freshmen dressing as Pokémon characters, sophomores in safari outfits, juniors as astronauts or aliens, and seniors as Mario characters.

Visit @lyman_sga on Instagram for information and updates on the future pep rallies and dress-up themes to participate in the last spring pep rally of the year.