Moving Beyond the Middle

Madison Koesler

Many freshmen signed up for clubs and got involved during PAWS period at the yearly club preview.

Madison Koesler, Co-Editor

Freshman year is a strange and slightly frightening time for most students, but what about Lyman’s freshmen. How are they adjusting to this big new world?

The majority of freshmen actually seem to be adjusting quite well. Many are getting involved, making friends, and are having an excellent time so far.

“It’s pretty good. I just feel accepted here and it’s bigger and nicer than middle school. I joined the thespian society too because like it’s just everybody’s really sweet and they’re all accepting,” freshman Myah Cartagena stated.

One very important reason the freshman are adjusting so well is that they are getting involved. Many students are taking a leap out of their comfort zone to try new clubs, sports, and activities this year, and it appears to be working out well.

“It’s been [a] phenomenal [year so far]; all the people have really high school spirit. Everyone is very open so I’ve been joining a lot of clubs and sports that have helped me make friendships,” freshman Zoe Oberschlake remarked.

Even though the freshmen are adapting well, not everything is perfect. Freshmen still tackle many challenges on a day-to-day basis.

“The hardest thing about being a freshman is the pressure. There is a lot of pressure put on us by all the other grades. We are also beginning a new chapter of our life and it’s hard to get used to,” freshman Enok Arocho commented.

“I would say the hardest thing about being a freshman is getting used to all the responsibilities,” Estrella Vasquez added.

To assist these freshmen with the stress and responsibilities of high school, the teachers take a step up to make these issues easier to overcome. Especially with the new PAWS period in place, freshmen have resources that greatly assist in the high school transition.

“I believe that our teachers are so invested in helping the freshmen and I think that they have a large impact on the transition because they create a foundation to help get students started in life,” stated assistant principal Ms. Skipper.