Greyhound Growl

Filed under Entertainment

The Grinch movie review

Unless your heart is full of unwashed socks, you'll love the new Grinch

The grumpy Grinch learns about what the real meaning of Christmas is with the help of a little Who from Whoville. While the Who’s down in Whoville prepare their annual Christmas celebration, the Grinch (Benedict Cumberbatch) is dreading it’s arrival due to his previous unpleasant Christmas experiences. As the celebration plans to get bigger and bigger, the Grinch plans to steal the holiday from Whoville by dressing as Santa Claus and taking everything Christmas away with the help of his loyal dog Max.

The rest of the film involves him planning on enacting his plan and also has as new subplot involving the young Cindy Lou Who (Cameron Seely). The best thing about this film is how faithful the story was to the original book. It does capture the original story and it’s message perfectly and seeing the Grinch prepare his plot to take the holiday led to some funny moments, but it was the subplot with Cindy Lou Who was pretty much the icing of the cake of the film. I really loved this subplot of the movie because it actually legitimately felt heartwarming and I felt that the writing in the scenes with Cindy Lou and her friends was pretty spot on for young kids. The animation once again is good for an Illumination movie.

While everyone has their own personal favorites, I can easily bet that one of those holiday tradition films, that’s easily labeled as a ‘required viewing’ for the festive season is the 1966 Boris Karloff TV special How The Grinch Stole Christmas! That’s the first production that started it all from the cartoons to the live remake with Jim Carrey and of course no one can beat the original but it doesn’t mean they’re bad.

In How The Grinch Stole Christmas released in 2000, the story focuses more on the Grinch (Jim Carrey) and his point of view as to why he’s so bitter with the people from Whoville. It details the Grinch’s past about him being humiliated by the children of Whoville and has a relationship with Martha May Whovier. It wasn’t the best origin, but wasn’t that bad at all. While this movie stayed true to the spirit of the book (despite it’s crude and inappropriate humor but it has a few good jokes) Jim Carrey, although over-the-top, did a perfect job as the Grinch. The rest of the cast did great especially Taylor Momsen as the lovable Cindy Lou-Who.

If you’re a big fan of heartwarming Christmas films then this is the movie to see! The Grinch is a perfect family film that will surely bring some laughs and smiles.

The Greyhound Growl gives The Grinch 4 out of 4 paws

About the Writer
Luiza Diaz, Staff Writer

Hi! My name is Luiza Diaz and I am a senior here at Lyman. This is my first year working on the newspaper staff. I am a member of the swimming, lacrosse,...

16 Comments

16 Responses to “The Grinch movie review”

1. George Santos on January 9th, 2019 8:22 am

Definitely will see this movie. A wonderful remake of the original.

2. Christine Bui on January 9th, 2019 8:24 am

This article is so well-written! I have not watched the new Grinch movie yet but after reading this review, I have the urge to go and watch the movie whenever I can!

3. Esiah Moore on January 9th, 2019 8:28 am

The Jim Carrey version of How The Grinch stole Christmas is 100% better than the movie in this review. This is a very well written review though.

4. Amya on January 9th, 2019 11:40 am

I think the Jim Carrey version was the best and will always be my favorite version. This movie was super cute and funny.

5. Jasmine Hupton on January 9th, 2019 11:44 am

I’ve heard a lot about this movie and I wanted to watch it, but this review puts the cherry on top. I can’t wait for it to come out in blue-ray and DVD so I can watch it at home.

6. Zeny Paulino on January 9th, 2019 11:51 am

I saw this movie when it came out and I loved it but not better than the original.

7. Bethany Hodges on January 9th, 2019 11:51 am

This was a very good review, but I believe the Jim Carry version of How The Grinch stole Christmas stole Christmas was way better then 2018 How The Grinch stole Christmas.

8. Abraham Cruz on January 9th, 2019 12:08 pm

This Grinch review was great, I would love to see this movie sometime now that I’ve read this!

9. Neysa Roberts on January 9th, 2019 12:11 pm

I will always think the Jim Carrey version is the best, but this one looks interesting.

10. Julianne Hogue on January 9th, 2019 12:22 pm

I honestly enjoyed the original better since the funny inappropriate jokes,but this one was quite something alright.

11. Joshua Worden on January 9th, 2019 12:23 pm

I personally loved this movie, I watched it two days after it came to the amc movie theater it was great. I even cried a little because I get emotional during movies.

12. Molly Herman on January 9th, 2019 12:37 pm

I love that movie and I agree with everything in this article!

13. Jessica Sterling on January 9th, 2019 12:44 pm

This movie was amazing. The lively animation and Tyler, The Creator featured in some soundtracks of the movie made this movie even better.

14. Yamiley on January 9th, 2019 1:05 pm

I have always loved kids movies and the original Grinch movie. Now having read this article it makes me want to see this move asap. This is well written and well organized.

15. Alyssa H on January 9th, 2019 1:07 pm

This was a thorough and good review! It makes me want to see the movie.

16. Kevin Luz on January 9th, 2019 1:08 pm

The movie was pretty good although the Who’s were kinda creepy and Cindy did not even care about the Grinch only her mom.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• The Grinch movie review

Athletics

Not so Sweet Victory

• The Grinch movie review

Entertainment

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Review

• The Grinch movie review

Entertainment

Aquaman movie review

• The Grinch movie review

Entertainment

Trapped in the Bird Box

• The Grinch movie review

Entertainment

Video Games for the Holidays

• The Grinch movie review

Entertainment

Spider-Man(PS4): The Heist (DLC) Game Review

• The Grinch movie review

Entertainment

Venom movie review

• The Grinch movie review

Entertainment

2018-2019 Horoscopes

• The Grinch movie review

Entertainment

Hell Fest movie review

• The Grinch movie review

Entertainment

What’s Hot In Today’s Music

The Student News Site of Lyman High School
The Grinch movie review