Greyhound Growl

Filed under Athletics, National, News

Patriots Dominate Super Bowl LIII

Back to Article
Back to Article

Patriots Dominate Super Bowl LIII

The 53rd Super Bowl was played on February 3, at Mercedes-Benz stadium in Atlanta, Georgia. Both the Los Angeles Rams and the New England Patriots went into the Super Bowl feeling confident after their intense and controversial playoff games.

This year’s Super Bowl turned out to be a defensive masterpiece. Tom Brady’s first throw of the game was picked off by Rams linebacker, Cory Littleton. The game for the longest time went scoreless until Patriots kicker, Stephen Gostkowski, nailed a 42 yard field goal. Which ended up putting New England up by 3 for the first half of the game.

Soon after, Maroon 5 headlined the Pepsi halftime show featuring Travis Scott and Big Boi. Now previous to the Super Bowl, many fans across the globe signed a petition for there to be a “Sweet Victory” Spongebob tribute. Although “Sweet Victory” was never performed, they did use a clip from the Spongebob episode “Band Geeks” as a cameo for Travis Scott’s introduction. This disappointed many fans, and overall the halftime show received lots of criticism and hate from the public. [For more information on this please check out our Half Time Show article https://ggrowl.org/2910/athletics/not-so-sweet-victory/ ]

“I really couldn’t believe they ruined the halftime show by cutting off Sweet Victory just when they were about to perform it,” junior, Jacob Janego argued.

In the third quarter, Jared Goff of the Rams led his team into field goal range for their kicker, Greg Zuerlein. It was 53 yards, but the veteran kicker had no problem airing the ball through the upright, tying the game at 3-3. With 7 minutes left in the fourth quarter, Tom Brady threw a dart to Gronkowski who makes a fantastic catch in traffic, putting the Patriots within a few yards of the end zone. Brady quickly hands it off to RB Sony Michel who runs up the middle for the touchdown. Then, with 4 minutes left in the game, Jared Goff makes a terrible read and throws an interception to Patriots cornerback, Stephen Gilmore. Brady milked the clock out and got his team into field goal position. This caused the Patriots to add 3 points to their lead. New England ended up being too much for the Rams to handle with the final score of 13-3. Causing the Super Bowl MVP to be Julian Edelman from the Patriots who had 10 receptions for 141 yards.

“Although it was not the most entertaining, I did enjoy witnessing Tom Brady become one of the greatest athletes to ever play sports by winning his 6th Super Bowl title,” junior, Kolton Wilson admitted.

While Kolton is right, this year’s Super Bowl may have not been the most entertaining by any means. It is definitely the one that cements Tom Brady’s legacy as the NFL’s greatest player of all time. He is now tied with Michael Jordan for most championship rings at six. He also has more rings than some NFL franchises. The accolade itself is very impressive let alone the reign the Patriots truly have over the NFL.

About the Writer
Michelangelo Kryger, Staff Writer

My name is Michelangelo Kryger but I go by Mick. Last year was my first time taking journalism. I'm not great with designing, but I love writing. I like...

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Patriots Dominate Super Bowl LIII”

1. jacob fairbanks on February 28th, 2019 1:22 pm

This is a great article going over the super bowl and what happened. I am a diehard Pats fan and I was so excited when they won. I like how this article was organized as well.

2. jalene vasquez on March 1st, 2019 8:44 am

Truly and honestly, I am not a football fan whatsoever but i’m tired of the patriots and how they’re in every Superbowl.

3. Kevin Luz on March 1st, 2019 12:51 pm

A lot of people said the game was boring but I found it very exciting. Both teams played defense very well and it was hard for either teams to score.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Patriots Dominate Super Bowl LIII

Athletics

Not so Sweet Victory

• Patriots Dominate Super Bowl LIII

Athletics

Bad Call?

• Patriots Dominate Super Bowl LIII

Athletics

New Season, New Goals

• Patriots Dominate Super Bowl LIII

Athletics

The Race for the NHL Playoffs

• Patriots Dominate Super Bowl LIII

Athletics

The dominance of UCF Football

• Patriots Dominate Super Bowl LIII

Athletics

Pressing Higher

• Patriots Dominate Super Bowl LIII

Athletics

Boston Strong

• Patriots Dominate Super Bowl LIII

Athletics

Goodbye Track!

• Patriots Dominate Super Bowl LIII

Athletics

Sidelined from Sports Injuries

• Patriots Dominate Super Bowl LIII

Athletics

About time for some Magic

The Student News Site of Lyman High School
Patriots Dominate Super Bowl LIII